Monday, April 18, 2011

Summer north

Lydia rushes up to me at the gate hugs me hard. Something is different.

"Misha, I've missed you so much."

I hug her back, and then hold her apart to look at her.

"Lydia!"

"You can tell?"

I'm speechless.

"Alex and I are having a baby."

What do I say?

"Wow!"

She starts to pick up my bag.

"Oh, no, I think I'll be getting that." I grab my satchel and we start toward the doors. Pregnancy is not slowing her down any.

"You're so happy. I'm happy for you."

"We'll have time to talk about all that later. I want to hear about your trip, and your mother."

I fill in the details on the drive back into Kirkenes. It's gray and raining, but it carries the promise of a long, long day--gray, but a long gray. I am glad to be back even as I'm taking in the new terrain. The land's the same, but my friendships are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment